DUCK BREAST w/
FENNEL PLUM CHUTNEY
PAIRED WITH 2019 O'BRIEN ESTATE SEDUCTION
Fall 2022 Newsletter
· 2 Duck Breasts
· Moroccan Dry Spice (or make your own w/ the ingredients below)
Fennel Plum Chutney Ingredients:
· 1 bulb of fennel, sliced
· 1 Tbsp olive oil
· 4-5 ripe black plums
· 2 tsp red wine vinegar
· 1/4 tsp cinnamon
· Orange juice or water
· Salt to taste
Moroccan Dry Spice Ingredients:
· 1 tsp. ground cumin
· 1 tsp. ground ginger
· 1 tsp. salt
· 3/4 tsp. black pepper
· 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
· 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
· 1/2 tsp. cayenne
· 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
· 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
(Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl until combined well.)
1. Heat sauce pan with oil and saute fennel slices until caramelized.
2. Add chopped plums, red wine vinegar, cinnamon, a dash of salt, and a splash of orange juice or water.
3. Simmer until fennel is soft, add more water or juice if necessary.
4. Taste and season for salt, pepper, and other ingredients. Add more of this or that to satisfy your taste.
5. Set aside and start working on the duck breast
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Score the fatty side/skin of the duck. This will help the fat melt as it cooks. Season each side generously with salt and Moroccan dry spice.
3. Sear each side in a cast iron skillet for 4 min at medium high heat. Start with the fatty side.
4. Transfer the duck breast to the oven and roast for 8 min and then rest for 8 min. This will cook the duck medium-medium rare.
5. Plate the duck with the fennel plum chutney. The combination of fennel, with its delicate anise aroma, plums, cinnamon, exotic spice and duck are a great flavor combination and pair really well with a complex blend such as Seduction.
Keep up to date on the latest wine releases, events, and promotions.